My favorite way of serving cauliflower is this simple stir fry that my mum has been making since ages. Unlike my husband who loves Aloo Gobi, I love this one, mainly because I grew up with this.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups of even sized cauliflower florets
- 1 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
- 2 tsp red chilli powder ( more if you want a bit more heat )
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- A pinch of Garam masala (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large skillet. When hot, add cumin seeds, when the seeds pop & splutter, add grated ginger, coriander powder, turmeric & red chilli powder. Saute for about 30 seconds on low heat. Do Not burn them.
- Add cauliflower florets & saute until each floret is well coated with spices. This takes about a couple of minutes.
- Add very little water & salt as per taste, & cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Let the cauliflower cook on mediun flame. Keep sauting at regular intervals to avoid the florets from getting burnt.
- Add green peas & mix well. Close the lid again. If necessary add a little bit of water at this stage. Let it cook again.
- When the cauliflower florets & peas are well cooked( This should take about 15 minutes) thrown in a pinch of garam masala & add lemon juice. Mix well.
NOTE: Do Not over cook the cauliflower florets. If overcooked, it tends to get mushy. The florets must retain their crunch
The cauliflower was perfectly cooked with just the right amount of crunch. We enjoyed this mildly spiced curry with some HOT steamed Rice & Dal. It really did make a wonderful side dish with, the otherwise plain Dal.
My trip was postponed by a bit & I had enough time to post another favorite recipe of mine. Iam off for a holiday, the day after. I still haven't started packing & I am happily blogging away my blues, sitting in front of my laptop. I think Iam just Crazy, But I totally enjoy doing things at the last moment, a trait I picked from my husband :)
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas & a Very Happy New Year. Have loads of fun :) Will see you guys real soon.