I love love chickpeas. They are an excellent source of proteins. Apart from Choley, which all of us relish, Moroccan Chickpea Stew is one dish, which is a regular at home.
Just the other day, after a hearty meal of chickpea stew & bread, I had some leftover soaked chickpeas on hand. I normally make a quick salad with the leftover ones. But, I was in the mood for something more flavorful ..
And, Curried Chickpeas was made the subsequent day for lunch
You Will Need:
- 1 cup chickpeas - soaked overnight
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt as per taste
- Pressure cook chickpeas with halt a tsp of salt with 4 cups of water. Drain the cooked chickpeas & set aside. Reserve the cooking liquid
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over nedium heat. Add cumin seeds, chopped garlic, ginger & saute for 10 secs.
- Add chopped onions, turmeric & saute till onions turn pink
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder & mix well
- Add cooked chickpeas, 1/2 cup of cooking liquid & salt as per taste. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover with a lid & let it cook on medium heat & simmer for 15 minutes until the chickpeas are fully cookied but not mushy.
- Add Garam Masala & mix well
Serve as a side dish with Rice/Roti .. Enjoi !!!
The dish was full was flavors yet not very overpowering. We had it with Rice & Dal & these curried chickpeas was a perfect accompaniment.