I always always associate Corn on the Cob or Bhutta in typical Bambaiyya language with some very warm childhood memories.
There are a zillion times when we friends have ran down the street to have our Bhutta on a gloomy monsoon evening & the Bhuttawallah ( Corn on the Cob Vendor ) was always round the corner, roasting corn cobs on a charcoal grill.
If you cannot find a Bhuttawallah in your neck of woods, Make them at home. This is really as simple as it can get.
As I don't have a charcoal grill at home, I steamed the corn cobs & roasted them directly over the stove top.
You Will Need:
- 2 Corn Cobs
- Kosher Salt
- Lemon - sliced into quarters
- Black Pepper Powder
- Red Chilli Powder ( Optional )
- Peel back the husks & remove the excess corn silk
- Steam the corn cobs in the microwave or on stove top for about 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Mix together kosher salt & red chilli powder in a small bowl. If red chilli powder is too HOT for your taste, replace with Black pepper powder. I added about 1/2 a tsp of black pepper powder. Set aside.
- Once done, Pat dry & Grill the corn cobs over medium heat for 10-12 mins. Keep turning them frequently.
- I roasted the corn cobs over the stove top. This is very quick & it gets done in about 3-4 minutes.
- When some of the kernels are browned, dip a quarter of the lemon slice into the salt & pepper mixture, apply it evenly on the corn cobs
Eat while it is still warm & relive your childhood memories. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: You could even oven roast the corn cobs or roast them over a griddle.