Palya is a vegetable/ mixed vegetable stir fry typically served as a side dish with anna-saaru or chapatis, in most kannada households.
Cabbage makes way into my kitchen very often because, whenever I send my husband to buy vegetables, he comes back holding a large head of cabbage. Not that cabbage is his favorite, its just that he really finds it convenient to buy them. He wouldn't really need to test it for its tenderness. Just pick it up, weigh it, pay for it, & he's done with vegetable shopping.
So I find myself making this palya quite aften as accompaniment with some simple anna-saaru. And, it sure does make an awesome comination with saaru. Simple & homely food that is.
You Will Need:
- 2 cups cabbage - finely shredded
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut ( Optional )
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- A handful of curry leaves
- 4- 5 green chillies - chopped finely
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
- In a heavy bottomed pan, cook shredded cabbage with about 1 cup of water. Add turmeric powder & a little bit of salt while cooking. Cover with a pan, & cook on medium flame, till the cabbage is soft. Add more water if the water has already dried up. But DO NOT add too much water as cabbage leaves additional water while cooking.
- Or simply, cook cabbage in the microwave. gets done pretty quickly.
- Once the cabbage is cooked yet crunchy, Add grated coconut. Temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, chana dal & urad dal.
- Check for salt, Mix well
Serve HOT with steamed rice/chapatis .. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: You can even do without adding grated coconut. If you do not like the taste of coconut, or if you are calorie counting, give it a miss. It will taste as great.