I hope you guys had a cracker of a Diwali .. I wanted to do a post on Indian sweets much before Diwali but then I got really busy with shopping & preparations ..
And, 2 days before the festival, I grated my finger yet another time, & this time it was a pretty bad one. I meant that I couldn't do any major cooking on Diwali, but I managed to make a simple Vermicelli Kheer
I should have ideally posted this on Diwali but this time, I was so much into hand painted Diyas this time, that I didn't want to do a post .. I painted quite a few of them & I loved it ..
Have a look at my Diyas here .. Lovely isnt't it??
Now the Vermicelli Kheer .. The simplest Indian Dessert ..
You Will Need:
- 1 litre Milk
- 1/2 cup Vermicelli
- 1/2 cup Sugar or more if you need
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Broken cashews & almonds for garnish
- If you are not using pre roasted vermicelli, roast them in a tsp of ghee until golden brown. Set aside. I used Pre roasted Vermicelli, so I skipped this step, which is why you will see that the vermicelli is not golden brown here.
- Bring milk to a boil, add vermicelli & stir. Let it simmer for about 15 mins until the vermicelli has cooked. Add sugar & stir well. Let it simmer for another 10 mins. The kheer should have thickened by now. But it should have a pouring consistency. If you find that the kheer has thickened a lot, add some more milk & sugar & simmer for another 2-3 mins.
- Fry cashews & almonds in ghee until golden in color. Add them to the kheer along with cardamom powder.
The kheer will thicken further once it cools down, so keep this in mind & adjust the consistency accordingly. Serve Hot or chilled .. Enjoi !!