Alrite, This will be my last post for the year 2011 .. I don't know about the rest of you, But for me, this year went by so fast , that I cannot believe I am writing 2011's last post ..
If you are planning a house party to bring in the new year, I have a perfect starter recipe for you .. Baba Ghanoush - The very popular Smoked Eggplant & Tahini Dip from the middle east. What I love about Dips, is that they can be made way ahead of time & infact the longer it sits, more intense the flavour .. And, everybody loves Dips & it is a great fuss free addition to your party menu
You Will Need:
- 2 Big Fat Eggplants
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- A handful of chopped parsley
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- A few olives for garnish
- Salt as per taste
- Make tiny slits around the eggplant, coat with mustard oil & roast it in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 mins, till the eggplant gets charred on all the sides. You could even roast the eggplant on the stove top, which is usually what I do & it cooks in about 15 mins
- Once the eggplant is roasted, allow it to cool. Later, peel off the skin & mash the eggplant with the back of a fork. Add salt & lime juice, mix well & set it aside
- Add all the other ingredients except Paprika, olives & parsley, Stir well so that the flavors incorporate.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with freshly chopped pars;ey, olives & sprinkle Paprika on top ..
- Serve with Pita chips, nachos or veggie batons .. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: Mash the eggplant well .. A few large chunks are fine but mash into a smooth texture with entirely pureeing it .. which is why I have't used a blender & I don't recommend it either
Baba Ghanoush Sandwich
I sometimes make use Baba Ghanoush as a Sandwich spread .. Its delicious & makes for a quick breakfast & you can even serve miniature sandwiches as starters too
You Will Need:
- As many slices of bread you need & any variety - I've used Muesli Bread here
- A few onions - cut into thin rounds
- A few tomatoes - cut into thin rounds
- A bit of finely chopped parsley
- A few olives
- Baba Ghanoush
- Cut the bread slices into whatever shape you like - triangles, rounds, squares or get creative & use a cookie cutter to get different shapes
- Spreas a thin layer of Baba Ghanoush onto the bread. Add a slice of onion & tomato each, garnish with parsley & olives .. If making for a party, Arrange the readied sandwiches in a large tray & wrap with a cling film & refregirate.
- Allow them to come to room temprature before serving or Microwave them for a minute & serve slightly warm
Have a great time Partying on New Year's Eve .. See you in a bit .. In 2012 !!!